Out with the old...

My creation

What a year 2009 was. Most of us started by the twos; Alex's started her second half of 4th grade, I started my second half of my pregnancy, Liam started his second half of his second year of life. :) Kiev had a first; his first day of his new job with EDS, now owned by HP.

We had a once in a lifetime experience when the Special Olympics came to Boise in February. Many members of my family, including my mother, step-dad, niece, grandmother, and some aunts, came to watch my cousin, Christine, figure-skate in this worldwide event. Not only did she take gold in every category she qualified f0r, but we had an amazing and enlightening two weeks. My niece and Alex got to see their first ever motorcade when Joe Biden came in to talk to the athletes, they learned to play floor hockey, and even got to meet a few celebrities! It was a great time for all.

Spring came and I got bigger, and started feeling the effects of having a one year old and a big pregnant belly. :) But I would only be tested further by Alex's GRUELING softball season. Ordinarily, little league girls softball is a pretty laid back, fun experience. There are no tryouts, anyone can play as long as they fall within the age and boundary guidelines. That being said, there are always *various* levels of skill on these teams, and most people know that these are learning years, not really competitive years. We got a coach that didnt get the memo. I called it a learning opportunity for Alex (and I, really) to learn how to handle all people, even unreasonable ones. Coach didnt have all his crayons in his box sometimes, though... and there were a few times, he would pick a fight. I, being 1000 months pregnant and exhausted (lugging a toddler, 2 chairs, a stroller and game equipment 2-3 times a week was a little cumbersome with an 8 month pregnant belly) found myself on a few occasions coming to the poor little players defense.

What a relief that first week of June was for me! Alex was out of school, therefore, my weekly volunteering was no longer needed. Softball wrapped up, and I was just days from my due date. I was so excited to meet this little baby (mostly to make sure all my excessive running didnt do any permanent damage, ;)). Kiev finished school for the summer, which was a HUGE relief for me. Having him home a few hours a day was a wonderful and much needed break for me. My mother and step-dad came to visit. Little Madeline came to the world almost a week late on June 17, 2009. It was a glorious birth and my baby was PERFECT.

Summer went way too fast, Alex had a season pass to the water park, and went many times with friends, my friend Anastasia took her many times as well. I was so glad, I was so concerned about Alex being bored all summer as I recovered from Madi and then settled in as a mother of three. Kiev turned 27 uneventfully. Our last family outing was the state fair, which was a wonderful time, then school started.

Kiev's schedule that semester was a challenging one, one we nearly didnt survive. Between work and school he was gone Monday-Sunday 8am-9pm, with the exception of Wednesdays, which he was home at 3-4ish. With 2 kids under 2 and a school aged child with a busy schedule, it was relentless to say the least, and Kiev had a terrible time being away from the kids so much.

Alex started 5th grade and turned 10 years old. I cant believe she is so old already. My baby. I look at her now and just cant believe its been so long since I held her in my arms, and even since I sent her off to her first day of Kindergarten. It all goes so very fast.

The fall came and went with fun events and Halloween, Alex was an angel, Liam was a spider and Madi was a little lamb. We had many great times with friends. We had an exciting development in our lives, we were ready to purchase a house! We placed an offer on a short sale house belonging to a friend of ours in the last week of October.

November and December proved to be a very trying time for us. We first heard news that Kiev's grandmother was very ill and not looking like she would be with us for long. We made a trip to see her so she could see the kids and we could say goodbye. It was not an easy trip for sure, particularly for Kiev, who LOVES his grammie and was (and still is) very concerned about his Pa.

I then got news that MY dear grandmother was gravely ill. This was news that I wasnt expecting, although I should have been prepared. Kiev and I were planning on heading to my mothers house for Thanksgiving week, and I was going to head down to Phoenix for a day or two to visit with her while we were out that direction. This was a week before our plans to leave and we had to think quickly, so I ended up flying with the three kids to AZ a week early. I have to say, this was the beginning of some of the hardest times I have had in recent years. It was a challenge to get back and forth to the hospital from hotels or Kiev's cousins house (to whom I am FOREVER grateful for their hospitality). I had a car, but had to leave the kids behind, a lot. I had never been away from them so much.

Just a week after I was in AZ, I got news that Kievs grammie had passed. How hard it was to be in AZ dealing with my own grief and struggles knowing Kiev needed me and I was so far away. It was so very hard to leave my grandmother in her state and condition at the end of those two weeks, but I had no choice. We arrived home November 29th, and just tried to catch up. Just two weeks later, on December 11, my grandmother passed away. This is a hard loss for me, she raised me as her own, and she was a mother to me. I had no plans to return to AZ, I had said my goodbyes, and the logistics would have been a nightmare, it was finals week for Kiev, not to mention the cost; the unexpected trip I had just taken had set us back quite a bit. I got a phone call that my help was needed, so off I went, this time with just Madi in tow. I was able to "attend" her services in Vancouver via the internet. I settled what affairs I could, wrote the eulogy and flew home. I was home a week before Christmas, a frantic week indeed, as I was weeks behind.

We managed to have a little fun in that week, we went to the Garden winter Aglow at the Botanical Gardens, and do the Christmas light tour, which was a lot of fun. Christmas morning looked like a toy factory exploded in our living room, our children were well thought of. We had a great Christmas dinner, too, mostly prepared by me. :)

I spent the last week of 2009 sick as a dog with strep and a double ear infection. We also heard that the house that we put our offer in on fell through.

It was a tough year with lots of lessons, learning opportunities, and loss. We had some great times, too... and we are so grateful for our sweet Madeline. She was a wonderful needed addition to our family.

There. A years worth of blogging I should have done. :) Ill try to do better this year. Bring on 2010.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another month down...

Gonna be updating,,, it may look strange. :)

How I enjoy teaching my kids the hard lessons: personal responsibility.