I just spilled wax on my carpet!

Bright blue, VERY fragrant Scentsy wax. I was on the floor making samples of Mays Scent of the Month, Mystery Man (AMAZING, by the way!). I accidentally knocked over my melting pot, spilling wax all over my beige carpet.

Side note: You know you are in a position of leadership and education when a cleaning catastrophe occurs and you immediately yell, "WAIT! Don't start cleaning that up yet. I need to get my phone. I can make a blog post about this to help my team and customers."


PS: KLEENEX is ineffective in this situation. ;)

So what do you do when this catastrophe occurs? Stay calm. Get a glass of wine. And these other items:

A roll of paper towels
An iron
A clean paper source (I used some Scentsy packing paper since I had it laying around, but a paper bag does the trick just fine!)
Some carpet cleaner (not always necessary, but usually is with the darker, highly pigmented wax.

First, take a few sheets of paper towels and soak up what you can by yourself. I used 4 sheets, folded in half. After my initial soak up, my carpet looked like this. (Take another sip of wine. It will be ok!)

  

Next, take a sheet of paper towel, folded in half to cover the spot, like this: 


Add your paper source. This is to prevent burning. Paper towels will BURN. Dont apply an iron directly to the paper towel. It will make your life far too interesting. ;) 


Set your iron to HIGH. Iron the paper, carefully, making sure to keep the iron in motion. Dont hold it in one place. 
TIPS: Dont use steam. Paper doesnt like it. 
Check the paper towel every 10 seconds. When the paper towel looks saturated, replace it. 
Make your husband do it. ;) 


It took me around 3 paper towels to feel like I had gotten most of the surface wax from the carpet. When I was done, it looked like this: 


The next part is a LITTLE tricky, only because you can burn yourself if you arent careful. Repeat the process with the iron, after 10 seconds or so, lift the iron and PRESS the paper towel into the carpet. This will lift the wax that is deeper into the carpet. 
TIPS: Make your husband do it. Its HOT! 
Use 2-3 paper towels for this part. The wax will be clear on the paper towel at this point, so it will look wet but not colored. 


Here is what the carpet looks like with nearly all of the wax lifted from my carpet: 


After a single treatment of some Resolve carpet remover and voila! It never happened. 


The photo shows where the carpet looks a little wet still, but there is no sign of wax. I noticed a teeny bit of blue when I woke up this morning, but I hit it with another round of resolve, and its gone. :) 



There you  have it, No more need to fuss over a wax disaster!  Just for fun, here is a photo of the paper towels used in this recovery: 


Have a great day! : )















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another month down...

Frumpy to Fabulous continues...

How I enjoy teaching my kids the hard lessons: personal responsibility.